amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Blogs tokyoracer Comments

1. Old Comment

OK, now THAT'S not right...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boudicca View Comment
    If its a station on Short, Long Wave or Medium wave there is always a good chance you can pick these stations up. Often local stations just block them out. I used to listen to Radio Moscow and Voice of America from a tiny multi-band set I had. Nothing new.

If have a decent "long wire", you can in the right conditions pick up stations anywhere on the planet but you are more likely to pick up taxi just outside your window

The reason you pick it up in the first place, is that cheap power supplies and cheap audio circuits often do not have any filtering and a set of powered speakers can just act as a radio receiver. e.g Mobile Phone noises when your phone is trying to connect to a Cell Tower.

For more info check out. Harmonics, "Skip" and the Ionosphere.
    Mobile (or Cell Phone) interferance with audio equipment has always been an issue regardless of quality (though higher quality items seem to reduce the effect somewhat).

I am surprised that if it is a quality issue, to pick up LW, MW and SW stuff from around the world on something made by Logitec which I thought was a decent company is a surprise.

Though I do think the radio stuff is helped by living in a part of the UK nearest to France.

Thanks for the responces guys, is clear now why I got this issue, I find the signals quite interesting actually.
  2. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tokyoracer View Comment
    But im in the UK, how am I picking up stations across the pond?
    If its a station on Short, Long Wave or Medium wave there is always a good chance you can pick these stations up. Often local stations just block them out. I used to listen to Radio Moscow and Voice of America from a tiny multi-band set I had. Nothing new.

If have a decent "long wire", you can in the right conditions pick up stations anywhere on the planet but you are more likely to pick up taxi just outside your window

The reason you pick it up in the first place, is that cheap power supplies and cheap audio circuits often do not have any filtering and a set of powered speakers can just act as a radio receiver. e.g Mobile Phone noises when your phone is trying to connect to a Cell Tower.

For more info check out. Harmonics, "Skip" and the Ionosphere.
    Updated 02-07-2010 at 09:17 AM by Boudicca
  3. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ilwrath View Comment
    Picking up AM signals crystal radio style on poorly designed sound systems.

As a kid growing up in the shadow of Detroit, I remember 760AM showing up in all sorts of unexpected places. WJR - "The Great Voice of the Great Lakes" It was one of the old stations designated as a National Emergency Broadcast Station, so it was allowed a much stronger signal than anything else near me.

I wonder if they still have those exceptions for certain stations...
    But im in the UK, how am I picking up stations across the pond?

Plus just to point out my speaker set is a Logitec one so not exacly complete tat.
  4. Old Comment

Picking up AM signals crystal radio style on poorly designed sound systems.

As a kid growing up in the shadow of Detroit, I remember 760AM showing up in all sorts of unexpected places. WJR - "The Great Voice of the Great Lakes" It was one of the old stations designated as a National Emergency Broadcast Station, so it was allowed a much stronger signal than anything else near me.

I wonder if they still have those exceptions for certain stations...