amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Blogs dammy Is It Me

Rate this Entry

Is It Me

Submit "Is It Me" to Digg Submit "Is It Me" to del.icio.us Submit "Is It Me" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is It Me" to Google
Posted 07-18-2009 at 06:06 PM by dammy

Is it me, or is the entire Amiga Community moving to reality of the situation we all find ourselves in. PPC is dead and watching those cling to the mostly rotting iMacs gives me the creeps. Even worse, those buying unbelievable expensive SAM440s have delusions that they will create a new market.

Two phases are going to be needed to bring the salvageable people together in a new community. First is, 68K and PPC are a dead end, wake up and smell the coffee. Second is praying to the 3.1 API god is a dead end. Put these two major clues on the current situation of the Amiga, you have a base that might be able to understand what needs to be done.

What needs to be done:

1. Decided on a better Arch that has uber support among the OEMs. x86, x86_64, ARM, MIPS, SH4, whatever it is, long as their multiple fabs cranking them out is a requirement set in stone.

2. Decide what is good with 3.1 API and throw the rest away and start over. C= would have, we all know that, look at their jump form ECS to AGA, nothing was sacred to them. Same should be said for the API. Keep what makes sense and go for modern capabilities. Multicore is here to say, learn to love it. That means we need SMP and MP. One thing the Amiga did well was multitask within the custom chips, a new OS has to be able to do that with at minimum between cores, but should include the GPU as well.

If you think I'm wrong, will your 1980s style API lead you into the 2020s?
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2551 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    It's not just you sir.
  2. Old Comment
    Amiga for 2010? its called Windows 7.